Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween


Friday October 30 2015

We had rain all last night and today it is a drizzling 46 degree day. Millie and Rae Anne are on a mother daughter outing to Santa Fe, I had a few chores planned on the motorhome but it's just too damp and cold outside so I postponed most of them. I did have to go out to fill the motorhome water tank and Maggie went outside with me, she got her feet wet and now shes curled up in my lap.

I'll be ready to head home to myrtle beach on Monday, I just don't do cold very well. I'm reminded of a skinny old man who lived in one of my friend, George Smith's apartments. One day upon entering the little guys unit we were hit with a wave of hot air. It must have been 100 degrees in the apartment, when asked why he had the thermostat set to maximum heat the little guy replied “but Mr Smitty, I just can't be cold” ….....I think I'm becoming that guy.

It cleared a bit after lunch and I ventured outside again. I was installing Super Bright LED elements in the tail lights when I noticed there are no reflectors in the housing. I have a roll of aluminum tape in my supplies and used it to line the back of the housing, making it a reflector for the bulbs. It's amazing how much brighter they are now.



In the afternoon the family took the kids, who were in costume, to town for trick or treating at the main street businesses. I've never seen anything like it, the street was closed and the whole center city participated in the Halloween festival. Many grown ups were in costume, a lot of them families dressed in the same theme. Star Wars was very popular.



Saturday October 31 2015

Millie and I taught Marcus and Evan to play Mahjong this morning on our computers. Over the last few days I have been teaching Evan (4 ½) to play all the Microsoft solitaire games, he's very smart and picks things up right away.



When we arrived here at Kamp Kolman instead of going around the block the long way so I would be more lined up with the angled driveway, I tried to back into the tight turn. I backed to the curb which pinned the mudflap between the tire and concrete. When I tried to hop the curb it spun the mudflap right off. Today I re installed the mudflap.




After lunch I walked Maggie to the cemetery and let her play in the grass. As a puppy she had her own yard with grass and she loves to run, roll and sniff around in it. It has to be some type of fescue or bluegrass, she doesn't play in the weeds they try to pass off as grass in the south. There is no grass out here in the west unless someone makes a conscious effort to care for and water it, that means golf courses, cemeteries and the occasional town park. Small town parks are almost always dog friendly, cemeteries and golf courses, not so much. The one we frequent here is posted no dogs, but I figure a lot of the folks buried there were probably dog lovers and welcome the canine company. As an excuse of last resort, I can play the dumb old guy, which isn't a stretch for me!

 

After taking Maggie home I was on my way back out with my camera to take some snow capped mountain photos when I met Millie and Marcus who were out for a walk, we all went together and as always with Marcus we ended up at the abandoned bull dozer which is in the forest about ½ mile down the trail. I know some of you modern parents are cringing at the sight of such a small boy playing on construction equipment, but we're from a different time when kids could be kids.......I think I'll let him drink out of the garden hose next!


No comments:

Post a Comment