Sunday, March 29, 2015

Taking it easy



Winter is “March” ing to an end and our sojourn in Florida is almost over. We are still in the Orlando Thousand Trails campground and pretty much just taking it easy. 



One of the regular entertainers here, Mike Thomas performed last weekend and introduced a new program. Instead of a keyboard and electronic music sound system, he has a new show in which he sings and plays acoustical guitar. I liked the new show a lot. Mike is a big Neil Diamond fan and plays a lot of his music in the keyboard performance. He did very little of Diamond in the new show, which I appreciated and judging by the audience reaction so did a lot of other people.



There are flea markets everywhere down here and a new one recently opened up just around the corner on Rt 192. Two buildings, all air conditioned, normal flea market vendors. I bought a set of dominoes, Millie bought some strawberries. The best part of the outing was our favorite Mexican restaurant “Chuys” is just down the road. We stopped there and enjoyed another great meal.

Sunday Millie and Rebecca went shopping at Jo Ann’s fabrics in Kissimmee and Clay and I worked on the rear slide out of his motorhome. The large slide out extends evenly but when you retract it one end comes in much faster than the other. This results in one end out about 6 inches when the faster end closes and the pump bypass valve opens. There does not appear to be any mechanical binding. The motorhome has a hydraulic system for the slides.



We researched it online and decided to try bleeding the system to see if it had any air in it. The procedure calls for the slide cylinders to be retracted and then bleeding the return lines where they connect to the synch cylinder. There was some foamy looking oil at one fitting but I never saw any significant bubbles. We didn’t accomplish much but we did establish a procedure for retracting the slide so he will be able to get home and take it to a servicing dealer. In my for what it’s worth opinion, I think there is an internal leak in one of the hydraulic cylinders or the synch cylinder.

I don’t know what it is about membership bulk buying stores but when I ran out of Kirkland Coffee from Costco that was reason enough for us to drive up to Orlando. We didn’t buy a whole lot, we don’t have much storage in the bus, but we’re still eating the giant cherry pie!

Tuesday is $6 movie day in Clermont and we went to see “Run all Night” with Liam Neilson. Millie rated at 6.5 and I gave it a 7.5. I thought it had a good storyline but it was very brutal and that reflects the low scores we give it. Then again, it was a movie about gangsters and hit men so I guess that is to be expected.



Wednesday was a girls shopping day in Clermont, but I don’t think either Millie or Rebecca came home with much. Buying isn’t necessary for a successful women’s shopping experience, so I guess as long as they enjoyed themselves it was a good day.

I had discovered that one of the trailing arms of my tow bar had been bent when it disconnected in West Palm Beach. It was barely perceivable at a glance but would bind when sliding in or out when attaching it to the jeep. I had already towed with it before I discovered the damage and was planning on using in this condition until I got home. I was checking the bulletin board at the activity center and saw the same model tow bar for sale at $300 by someone here at the campground. The tow bar’s retails for $999. but can be bought online for around $775. + shipping.

Before I contacted the seller I called the manufacturer to check on parts for my tow bar. Blue Ox informed me they did not sell just the sliding portion of the arm and I had to replace the entire right arm assembly. Cost $245. + shipping.

Obviously, I then called and made arrangements too see the complete tow bar offered at $300. The owner had recently switched from a motorhome to a fifth wheel RV and no longer needed the tow bar. Try as I might, I couldn’t get him to negotiate on the price, but he did throw in the coiled safety cables which cost $75.

The new tow bar is installed on the motorhome and I still plan on repairing my original. I’m certain the arm can be straightened, and then I will keep it as a spare.

Last, but not least, we finished watching season six of “24”. Neither one of us watched the series when it was on TV but we’re hooked on it now. Each episode is one hour of a day in the life of Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) an agent with CTU (Counter Terrorism Unit). A whole season is one 24 hour day in which Jack, mostly single handedly, often gone rogue, battles the forces of evil that threaten the US. 



The show is so unrealistic that we are often laughing at the incredible achievements of Jack and CTU but each episode ends with a cliffhanger that keeps you coming back for more. One scary thing about the show is some of the terrorist attacks depicted have come true or are threatening us today.

Dammit! Come back Jack, the country needs you!

PS: Dammit, is one of Jack’s frequently used lines in the show.     


No comments:

Post a Comment