Friday, March 20, 2015

Bachelor-ing for a week



So there I was bachelor-ing it for a week, Millie had flown out to New Mexico to visit Family, what to do? It’s been getting warm here in Florida, not that I’m complaining but the girls have been feeling it. They haven’t had a haircut since we left home and both had thick hair. Heck I thought, I can cut their hair, so I got my electric clippers and said “who’s first?” Neither dog moved.




Before I married a hairdresser I cut my own hair but had never cut a dogs so I volunteered Maggie first. Her hair is mostly straight and I reasoned it would be simpler than Dixie’s wire hair. Maggie wasn’t afraid of the clippers, in fact she was a little too relaxed. Have you ever tried cutting a dogs hair while it’s lying down? It gets difficult to see where you had already cut when the customer is rolling around in cut hair, but somehow we prevailed.

Dixie was almost a repeat performance, the only difference was I think she liked the attention she was getting from me more than Maggie did. Dixie also chose to get her haircut while lying down. Both girls ended up with reasonable hair cuts and they are much cooler. I ended up covered in dog hair and in need of a cool shower. 




My next project was to replace a switch in one of the lamps in the motorhome. I had already tried disassembling the switch and cleaning the contacts but that was unsuccessful. Being an electrician I can’t convey how damaging that was to my ego, but I was determined to fix the lamp. When I went to Lowes I already knew they weren’t going to have an exact replacement switch. Do you think maybe I’ve spent too much time at the Lowes electrical department? Anyhow I picked a suitable replacement and after a little modification the light fixture was repaired. This should score me some points with the wife, as the fixture is mounted above her desk.





On Tuesday March 17 I moved the motorhome back to Orlando Thousand Trails Campground. This will be our final scheduled stay in Florida this winter. We will depart from here on March 30 and start our migration back to Myrtle Beach.

Between making and breaking camp on the move to Bee’s Resort and back during our “out” week and taking care of the girls I haven’t got much accomplished. I know I am supposed to be retired but I still can’t just sit and do nothing, I always feel guilty if I’m not working on something.

In no time at all, it was Thursday and Millie was flying back in from New Mexico. I hurriedly did some housekeeping to make the motorhome look like I could get along without her. Why do we do those things, when just the opposite is true? Thursday evening I waited at the airport for my love and was once again whole when I saw her walking towards me from the arriving passenger gate.



When we pulled in next to the motorhome, the girls who had been waiting on the dash jumped up and started their happy dance. They jumped down and ran to the door as we walked past the windshield. It’s a heartwarming sight to see when the girls greet their Mom after one of her trips. They’re all wiggling tails, happy dances and kisses. Our little family is together again.








No comments:

Post a Comment